Now Playing: unexpected background
Topic: New Work
For this card I first started with making the 3D element of the pillows and jar of buttons. But however I tried to mount it on a card looked boring or contrived. I had a print of a quilt from a catalog ad but it was printed as a full, flatt, spread out quilt.
After trimming to the edges of the quilt I applied dry-line runner along all the edges and 'gathered' here and there to make it look like it was draped over the top edge of the card. By smoothing out the folds and attaching them as needed to make it lie down, I thing I succeeded in turning it into a more realistic background.
Then I set the 3D illustration at the bottom.