« May 2012 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Monday, 21 May 2012
Stand Back
Topic: Backgrounds

When I ran across this technique for the third time in a week (on separate blogs) I decided to take a run at it myself. I had before made waxed paper backgrounds by crinkling waxed paper, flattening it, sandwiching between two pieces of glossy white cardstock, and ironing it to melt the wax. When this is colored with inks the wax resists the color leaving a lovely pattern.

The twist in this technique is running the waxed paper through the Cuttlebug using an embossing folder. Then, rather than having a random crackled pattern in the finished colored cardstock, you get a coloring with the design of the folder. Awesome! 

I cut a huge stack of cardstock, a big stack of waxed paper and got out several of my folders. Working in assembly line I impressed each of the selected folders 2 to 3 times. (Each will make two finished cards) Then I sandqiched them till I ran out of cut cardstock and then ironed the whole stack.

After this I got out the distress inks and started coloring up the backgrounds. I used two to four inks for each panel, applying them with a blending tool. After covering the surface I buffed with a paper towel to reveal the pattern.

I didn't use up all the prepared cards but here is what I have so far:

A soft argyle that will make a great background for a baby boy card

A brighter argyle for a masculine card

A brick texture with very warm tones

more brick with redder coloring

brocade with extremely pastel inks

reds and pinks on a circle/diamond pattern

clockworks on which I tried to color individual elements differently to define them

daisies in a blend of oranges

small diamonds in a rainbow

hearts in pink and orange

interlocking circles in a pastel blue/green

the same pattern with some brights in intentional placement

ornamental iron folder in greys and blues

stars in stripes

star background with flag coloring

stars with spot coloring

herringbone in muted masculine stripes

vines in blues and greens. notice how the vines appear as outlines on this one

vines in browns and greens. notice that this one has the vines a solids. every folder has an indented pattern and a raised pattern. the card will come out of the 'ironing' phase as either the negative or the positive image depending on which side of the waxed paper sandwich it is on.

vines with yellow and green plus a few red 'berries'

woodgrain with light brown ink

I still have LOTS of waxed backgrounds I have not colored yet. I might try some other types of coloring agents to see what neat effects I can create.

In the meantime, I have some inspirational backgrounds calling out for me to get busy.

Ddd

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PDT

View Latest Entries