« April 2013 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Thursday, 4 April 2013
54 Strips And a Dash of Stash
Topic: Quilting

How about a teaser first?

Because this is just too much wonderfullness to spring on you all at once, I will dole 4 new quilts out over the next few days.

I started from the Eleanor Burns pattern called "Twice As Nice - Plus More" which shows how to turn a 'jelly roll' into three quilts (one medium and two small). I wanted to make my quilts larger so I supplemented the 40 strips (batiks) with 14 more strips from my stash.

The strips are stitched together in sets of three and then some whacking this way and that way gives you three styles of cuts which are then assembled into blocks.

The first cut that is made from the strips makes up unto square window blocks. Because of the extra strips I put in I had enough to make 18 blocks instead of the 12 that the pattern addresses. So I split them into two sets of 9 for two square quilts.

This is the first. I call this 'black light' because it is so bright and psychadelic.

I added more from my stash for the border, backing and binding.

This quilt finished up at 42 inches square.

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PDT

View Latest Entries