« May 2014 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Saturday, 24 May 2014
Pinwheel Parade
Topic: Quilting

On the Missouri Star Quilt Company's video tutorials I found one for what they have called disappearing pinwheels - churndash version: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUXNMpKF74)

This fascinating construction starts out by facing two contrasting squares together (I used 11 inch) and stitching around all 4 sides with a 1/4 inch seam. Then the blocks are cut on both diagonals and opened up to reveal 4 matching half-square triangles. These are then placed together to form a pinwheel and stitched into a single block. 

I made these pinwheels with six each of red/white and blue/white fabric combinations. Each red and each blue were different fabrics from my stash.

All of the pinwheels got trimmed to 12.75 inches and then were cut into 9-patches of 4.25 inches. I rotated the corner blocks and the side blocks so all the color faced the pinwheel and then swapped the pinwheel centers to the opposite color of block. I then swapped the reds from block to block to make then scrappy and repeated the process with the blue ones. These were all assembled back into churndashes with contrasting pinwheel centers.

I cut strips to frammed the blocks with one-inch of contrasting color and assembled my quilt top with 1/2 inch white sashing. A white border wraps it all up.

The most challenging element of this construction is that, after that initial cut, every seam is on the bias until the block frames go on.

I quilted this in the ditch on the inside of the frames and on the 'tic-tac-toe' lines of the blocks.

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PDT

View Latest Entries