« November 2014 »
S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Wednesday, 19 November 2014
Purple Plus
Topic: Quilting

I took some orphan blocks from the 'Honesty's Promise' quilt and added some sashing, more snowball corners, and multiple borders to make a quilt for the hospital Passages program.

The sashing and outside border are of a very dark purple, changing the entire feel of the design. I put the lighter colors in the middle which tends to lighten it a bit.


The sashing was from my stash and I used all of it up. Then I decided I needed the dark border and found this fabric on the left that was a close color. It was a print with a swirly line, though, so I did a stipple quilting in the sashing using a light thread that sort of mimiced it.


This was the first time I had done a two-toned binding, too. It was quite the brain strain to come up with the proper measurements to make the seam between the colors end up precisely on the turn, but I did it and I like it.

I did the two-toned binding because I didn't have any one binding fabric that went equally well on the back and the front of the quilt. Solved!

Ddd

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PST

View Latest Entries