« November 2014 »
S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Friday, 21 November 2014
Town Square
Topic: Quilting

A friend who is no longer able to quilt had attended a shop hop several years ago and collected kits at each shop for blocks designed like little buildings. She had made a few of the blocks from the kits (each kit made two identical blocks) but never finished.

When the finished blocks and remaining kits were given to our quilt group I became the designated finisher.

I made the rest of the blocks - except for a few that did not match the character of these (a Sunbonnet Sue, a Moose, and a Birdhouse). This left me with 11 building blocks and I wanted 12 for the layout I had in mind. So I designed a new block and made it out of a combination of my stash and leftovers from the kits.

I created a center from some orphan blocks left over from the Celtic Dreams quilt. To this I added the 12 blocks of buildings and then I needed something for the corners. A paper-pieced pine tree was just the ticket.

I did some of the quilting using decorative stitches on my new sewing machine. I started with some pine trees on the outer border.

Then the inner border got a line of houses.

And then each building got a cat - in the window or on the doorstep.


I had another set of the building blocks left so I will feature that quilt tomorrow.

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PST

View Latest Entries