« October 2014 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Thursday, 30 October 2014
Stencil Tutorial - Jumbled Letters
Topic: Stencils

I have very different stencil today from the recent My Favorite Things order.

The stencil I am using today is Jumbled Letters . It has whole alphabets carefully arranged to not spell out anything or be in alpha order. Letters sometimes appear more than once and there is a mix of upper/lower case and a range of sizes. Over all it has the feeling of graffiti to me.


I had a blank book on hand that I've been wanting to alter and this seemed like the perfect project. I laid out Distress Markers and a bulb sprayer to apply the ink.

I've had that sprayer for eons and used it originally for my Momento brush markers. When I saw that Tim Holtz had a version on the market it reminded me that I had this one and I kept my fingers crossed that the Distress Markers would fit. First I had to find the thing. After lots of searching it turned up... in the drawer with the Momento markers.

Wink

Since the cover was cream colored I selected all earthy tones for the sprays. I laid the stencil off kilter on the cover and spritzed with one color of marker.

Then I moved the stencil and sprayed with another color. This was repeated until I liked the cover. The flexibility of the stencil allowed it to ride up and over the button and metal plate without issue.


Then I did the same on the back cover:

On the inside pages I used one color per panel to help define them:

Back on the front cover, I lined up letters one at a time and traced them with a darker marker, for the title.

This is the final product, ready for content.

Now I just have to decide what the story is!

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PDT

View Latest Entries