« January 2015 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Tuesday, 20 January 2015
Predictions, Wishes or Plans?
Topic: Techniques

For several years I have been following Tim Holtz’s posts and collecting his ideas for decorated tags. At first he did the ’12 tags of Christmas’ with step-by-step directions for each one. Then, last year, he switched to one tag per month – still doing 12 tags, but spreading them out over a year.

Amazingly, I have never played along, making a tag with the steps he has outlined. So this year I decided to challenge myself to recreate each of the 12 tags using the products I have on hand, even if they are not the same as what Tim uses.

The first of Tim’s 12 tags of 2015 is outlined here. In case yo want to follow along with HIS products and steps to see where I got my inspiration and where I made changes.

He put together a word collage for 2015 so I did the same. Also, he uses tags for his art but I really had no need of a tag so I did mine on a larger size to create a display piece.

So here we go...

I cut a piece to work on from a manila file folder. I ran this through my Xyron to apply adhesive to one side of it.

I scrunched up some printed tissue paper and applied it to the card with just a few wrinkles.

I trimmed the tissue even with the edges of the card.

I used a sanding block to scuff the edges of the card

I used my fingers to apply various acrylic paints in a random manner:

While the paint was still wet, I misted it with water to make them blend.

I blotted some of the paint away and then dried it partially with the heat gun.

I pressed a Walnut Distress Ink pad to an acrylic block.

This was misted with water.

Then I used a paint brush to flick the ink over the edge of the block onto the card.

This imparted a spattered effect as shown here:

This was turned this way and that to get it to run into the creases on the surface. Then I dried it with the heat gun.


The card was set aside for a bit while I prepped some other pieces. I selected a sheet of 'grungeboard' numbers and cut out 2015.

I used a black soot Distress Marker to color the edges of the numbers.

These numbers as well as a letter sticker were laid out temporarily on the card where they would eventually be adhered.

WOW! The next product was exactly the same used by Tim (unlike most of the other ones I used).


I chose, from the kraft pages, word stickers that described the things I plan and wish for myself for the year 2015. These were arranged around the numbers but not stuck down.

One by one the words were adhered with Glossy Accents.

The numbers were moved over to scratch paper and covered with glossy accents.

The numbers were then sprinkled with glitter and set aside to dry.

While these were drying, I brushed the main piece with a clear matte medium.

When this was dry, I used a black soot Distress Marker to trace around the word stickers and smeared the ink with my fingers.

So what do we have so far?

I put some white pearl acrylic paint on an acrylic block, thinned it with water and used a brush to flick it onto the card, rubbing it away where it obscured words.

This was dried with the heat gun.

By now the glitter on the numbers was dry. I used glossy accents to glue them onto the card where they had initially been laid out in the arrangement.

I used Glossy Accents to adhere a dove charm in an open area.

A metal word tag was adhered in the same way.

I used a bulb sprayer to make spatter from a Krylon gold metallic marker.

Here is my resulting art piece inspired by the first of Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2015.


Only 111 more to go!

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PST

View Latest Entries