Go big or go home! that was my dilemma when starting to replicate the July tag from Tim Holtz. Here is his creation:
Tim made HIS tag with the mini versions of the patriotic blueprint stamps which I do not have - I have the standard size of them.
The solution was to up-size the whole project into a 6 x 10 hanging wall piece.
Here are the steps and supplies I used to complete this project:
- adhered text-printed scrapbook paper to the surface of a chipboard cut to size.
- use sandpaper block to scuff all 4 edges.
- stamp patriotic blueprint stamps onto heavy watercolor paper using black Archival ink.
- use deckle-edge ruler to tear against at the top and the bottom of each image.
- use Distress marker ink as watercolors to color the images. include drop-shadows painted with Pumice Stone ink.
- smear Versamark across images to create a resist. (this didn't seem to have any effect so this step could easily be skipped)
- use a very wet brush to add Pumice Stone Distress Ink over the images. blot off excess ink to keep smearing of colored images to a minimum. dry with heat tool.
- trim sides off images to fit them on text background.
- distress the edges with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink. Wet with aquabrush. dry with heat tool.
- adhere centers only of the images to the text background.
- stitch around all 4 sides of all 3 images. (this is the reason the glue was only in the center in the last step - so the machine needle would not have to go through it)
- decorate flag panel with rhinestone 'stars'.
- add silver Dazzles 'celebrate' peel-off sticker at the top of the USA panel.
- add stickers, rub-ons, rhinestones to star panel.
- use spritzer to spray black soot Distress Marker ink on panels.
- punch holes on upper two corners of panel.
- color opposite edges of cream colored seam binding using a blue Distress Marker and a red one.
- spritz ribbon with mini-mister to start colors running. blot before colors run together in the middle.
- dry with heat tool, scrunching to wrinkle as it dries.
- tie ribbon to holes, attaching star charm by stringing through one end of the ribbon.
So, here is my completed hanging decorator piece which I used as a hostess gift for the neighbors who hosted our Independence Day get-together.
It's on a different scale than Tim's original but the general effect is the same.
I also covered the back of the chipboard piece with scrapbook paper to create an attractive finish.