A group project has our quilting ladies churning out tops for baby quilts that will go to a reservation with our youth at spring break. Later these will be backed, quilted and bound - but not necessarily by the person who constructed the top. So I am going to show these even though they are unfinished.
I first cut a bazillion strips of 2" widths from piles of my scraps. These were long, short, medium... I sorted them into piles by color: yellow, golden, brown, pink/red, purple, blue, teal, green, yellow green. Then I sewed them together end to end, one from each pile round and round until I ran out of one color (blue).
Judging the strip was long enough I brought the ends together and sewed side-by-side the full length. This was repeated until I had one long striped piece 12 1/2 inches wide.
I cut this into sections 12 1/2 inches long and had enough for 32 blocks. I sorted them based on predominant colors and created four 9-patch quilt centers of 36 inches. Then each one got a 2 inch border to created a completed top of 40 inches.
Here is the first of these:
This one was prominently pink and I banded it with tan.