I finished my New Year's Day mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville) today. She calls this pattern En Provence for the colors she witnessed when she travelled there last year.
I kept her color scheme and dug deep into my stash for the colors I needed. She had designated Sherwin-Williams paint colors to set the palette and I used their ColorSnap tool on my phone to create a color bar for reference.
I could carry this right to my drawers and pull fabrics to build the scrappy units. Totally scrappy is SO not my style but I persevered and I am happy with the result.
The cutting and sewing of units were clues released over the course of several weeks - x number of neutral 4-patches, x number of tri-recs squares in dark purple and neutral, etc. I made only 9 of the 16 blocks she designed it for so I was making half the stated number of units for both the blocks and the sashings (which make up the magenta stars).
When she got to the reveal I counted the actual number of each type of unit and made enough of each to fill out the design.
I used different free-motion quilting on various elements: stalks of lavender through the purple chains -
roses, leaves and vines in the yellow block areas -
leaves and vines along the borders -
and echo quilting on the magenta stars -
The backing is purple marbled fabric and I added a binding of dark purple.
This is the final look showing the full layout: