« July 2020 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Thursday, 16 July 2020
Point Taken
Topic: Quilting

Having used up all the squares I could get out of the recent strip sets I found that I still had an upright triangle that could be cut from each end of each set. I did this and when I opened them and rotated two of them together on the long edge they made little hourglass units.

Of course now I am dealing with true leftovers and having created all these units I had to figure out a way to set them together to create a quilt top. I measured the hourglass units and discovered I could sliver trim them and get 5 inch squares. This meant I could set them alternating with charm squares for a perfect fit.

The question was, 'do I have any charm squares?' Yay, the answer was, 'yes'!

I had leftovers of a couple of stacks in a range of orange/golden/rust that I set in a gradiant arrangement and alternated with the hourglasses turned this way and that to form a secondary pattern of diagonal squares.


How those metallic finish warm colors changed the look of these scraps (again). I accented the teal in the blocks by adding a narrow inner border.

Here you can see the metallic finish on the squares and the brown border as well as the edge to edge quilting.


I truly used up every scrap of these orphaned strip sets after cutting all I needed for that first quilt, 'Get To The Point'.

Ddd

 

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 6:40 PM PDT

View Latest Entries