« April 2021 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Art Challenges
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Hymnal Art
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Tuesday, 13 April 2021
Very Complimentary
Topic: Quilting

As a complement to the placemats posted yesterday, the same family member requested the same pattern (Road to Oklahoma) in the same colors (blue and yellow) but designed as a bed runner for a queen bed. This is the first bed runner I have ever made.

On the traditional Road to Oklahoma there is a single block with a diagonal design which, when rotated on alternate blocks, forms the stars and chains. However, it also creates each of the large squares out of a four-patch - a seam right through the middle both ways. I did not find this attractive and also did not want the bulk of all those extra seams.

So, I worked backward from the end product layout and redrafted the pattern to be constructed in two different blocks - a sawtooth star and an uneven 9-patch. I cut all the parts with my Accuquilt using the 8-inch qube.

For assembly, I alternated each of the 9 pairs of blocks (making sure to keep the florals facing the right way) into a long unit and then constructed strips of the outer pieces and sewed them on. Last step - the 3-inch border.

I quilted on the diagonal throughout.

 

This fits a queen bed.

I had intended to bind in the same dark blue as the border but ran out of that fabric. I used the lighter blue for the binding which emphasizes the star points.

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 10:19 AM PDT

View Latest Entries