Back with another version of the birch trees card. This time I used distress inks to paint the background areas.
- Open a folded white card to lie flat (mine was 5.5 x 4.25 when folded)
- Use sticky notes to mask off the folded edge on the back of the card so no ink will get on the back
- Use two sticky notes to mask on the front, leaving a space between them (width of one desired tree trunk)
- With the very edge of a light brown stamp pad stroke lightly from one sticky note edge toward the center of the open space. Turn card around and do from other sticky note edge. Do NOT aim for complete coverage. Spotty coverage is much better for the effect.
- Move sticky notes over to expose another trunk area and repeat (vary the width of the trees and change the angles slightly). Repeat to make 5 wide tree trunks.
- Move back to one edge and mask off a very skinny tree trunk. Mask off a space at the bottom so the tree will sit further back in the scene (wider trees will be closer so need less space masked off at the bottom). Swipe with ink pad. These trees will get a bit more coverage just because they are smaller to work with.
- Repeat, moving the sticky notes to make several of these smaller trees.
- Remove all sticky notes except for the one masking the card back.
- Use fine-line black pen to sketch lines down the sides of the larger trees and make a few side-to-side marks in the trunks.
- Draw in some defining curves at the bottoms of the smaller trees and draw in some upper branches on them (make sure the branches stay 'behind' your larger foreground trees)
- Sketch in some hills and distant trees.
- Paint the snowy foreground, purple in the mountains and green in the distant trees.For coloring the background, here is what I do. I use Distress Inks and press the pad onto an acrylic block. Then I use an aqua-brush to pick up the ink and paint it on like watercolors. The colors I used: Brushed Corduroy for the birch trees, Frayed Burlap for the snow then layered Tumbled Glass over it, Milled Lavender for the mountain, Bundled Sage for the background trees, Tumbled Glass for the sky
- Attach a greeting.
Here is the newer verion of the card: