If you saw this in the original paper you would probably not recognize it now! The birds on this paper were very large for a card so I cut them down to use only the front half of the birds. I rounded the corners and then stared at them for quite a while... (insert 'Jeopardy' theme music). I decided the problem was that the whole thing was too much the same tone. So I used a 'pumice stone' distress marker over the whole background and then went over the whole bird with a 'picket fence' distress marker. This made the bird pop off a subdued background. I used 'old paper' distress ink with a blending tool over the bird to bring back a little color.
For the first card I backed the illustration with a lemon yellow with rounded corners. Behind this I layered a yellow/blue dot and a grey folded card base. I did some faux stitching with a fine line pen and added a diecut white script.
I added a few fine lines to the illustration on this next one but did the rest of the coloring the same. I bordered it with a robin's egg blue and a burgundy strip over a pink folded card base.
The text on this one is proveded with a gold peel-off sticker.