It's In The Bag
I was given a challenge to sew up a handbag using a plastic one as a model. It was the right size and shape but a poor choice of materials for the user.
I pulled out the leftover fabric that I had used on the cushion the other day and some complementary floral fabric to use as a liner. I used iron-on interfacing on both pieces before cutting.
I measured the model bag and wrote up a plan of cutting and construction. I had to make plans for a different way of attaching handles as the model had leather ones attached with rivets. The closing zipper and an inside pocket were also eliminated.
As it happened I had a packet of magnetic snaps in my stash that I had picked up on clearance several years ago.
So, here is the finished purse:
Here you can see the magnetic snap closure:
Here is a view of the lining. You can see that the straps are also lined so you get a little view of that blue and golden fabric there as well.
This all went together in a couple of hours - including planning time. Next ones (yes, there will be more) will go faster since I can skip that step altogether.
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org
at 12:01 AM PST
Updated: Tuesday, 26 February 2013 9:38 AM PST