This I Love
I set out to use the techniques presented by Tim Holtz in his February posting for the 12 Tags of 2015.
This is the project he made:
The idea was to create a collage tag with the theme presenting things you love.
Here are the steps used to create my piece:
--Gather stickers, scrapbook paper, printed tissue, tissue tape, etc. with the theme (in my case this was all related to sewing and cooking)
--Run a base piece through the Xyron to cover with adhesive (in my case the base was tagboard and I used a piece 5.75 x 4.5 instead of a tag)
--Adhere the printed tissue as a base layer (I used sewing pattern)
--Adhere other selected items in collage arrangement (I used two handwritten recipe stickers, cardstock with dress forms, a strip of graph paper, cardstock with fabric print, sticker of a quilt and button stickers)
--Trimmed all the overhanging elements to the edges of the base piece.
--Added tissue tape in two styles with measurements and numbers (to represent measuring tapes)
--Lightly sanded the edges of the piece then used the sanding block to scuff the surfaces of the elements to distress them.
--Sealed the whole surface with clear matte medium. Dried it.
--Applied 'Picket Fence' Distress Stain over the whole surface. Dried it.
--Sealed with clear matte medium again. Dried it.
--Outlined the elements with Distress Marker in Walnut Stain and smeared with a fingertip to create shading.
--Applied a gold sticker frame, gold sticker corner and gold sticker lace trim.
--Smudged shading around all of these elements with same Distress Marker.
--Selected a copper heart element with engraved text.
--Sanded surface and applied Picket Fence Distress Stain to it. Dried. Glued to surface with Glossy Accents.
--Used black Sharpie to reinforce the engraved text.
--Cut out tiny letters and glued in place with Glossy Accents.
--Darkened the letters with the Walnut Stain Distress Marker and smudged with my finger.
--Used a bulb sprayer and a Black Soot Distress Marker to spatter the whole surface of the piece. Dried it.
--Punched 1/8" holes in the button stickers.
--Tied coordinating twine through the button holes with the knots in the back.
--Used same twine to tie a real button in place inside the frame with the knot on the front.
--Used foam tape to mount the piece to a fabric-covered mat board backing.
Here is the finished piece:
This will be a display piece on the door of my quilting/sewing studio.
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org
at 12:01 AM PST