Once the quilt group stopped meeting for the summer (from mid-June) I had no place large enough to make quilt tops into 'sandwiches' ready to do the quilting. So I made myself a lot of kits, pre-cutting the fabrics and putting them into gallon zip-lock bags along with the pattern. Then I would pull out a kit, make it into a quilt top and set it aside with the backing fabric and the batting all cut.
Once we started meeting again in September, I had nine quilt tops ready to assemble into finished quilts. I spent one whole Saturday basting tops (hooray for spray basting) and then during the week I started quilting and binding them.
So, there will come up many quilts in a short time span - in the order they were finished.
Today we are looking at 'Drunken Sailors'. This started out with a charm pack that was given to me. It was a mix of blues and browns but I separated out just the blues and added some from my stash to make enough for this quilt. The background is all muslin from my stash.
The pattern is a tutorial called 'Falling Triangles' from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.
As soon as I got this top done the blue triangles made me think of sails. So I used a dark blue thread to do thread-sketching of hulls and masts (with little flags on them) to turn each one into a little sailboat.
The fact that the boats face every which way led to the quilt title.