I have been wanting to get back to watercolor paintig for some time now but have been limiting myself to painting card fronts and using stamp pad inks or markers for the 'paint'.
I decided to break out of this one step at a time so I started by switching back to true watercolors and standard brushes.
I started with watercolor paper that comes in a pad and cut a sheet into quarters. Rather than taking time to sketch something to paint I got out rubber stamps and stamped the image with 'scattered straw' Distress Ink.
For this one I used my hand carved stamps of roses.
I used the guidelines on the stamped image to decide where to do shading and worked with reds and yellows to create oranges with a bit of blue shadow. The greens were mixed as well as I have no green watercolor paints.
The background is NOT purple as this shows but if I dial that back the roses do not look as orange as they really are.
Although this ended up being sized properly for a card front, I'm not sure if will end up being used that way.