This quilt has been languishing in the longarm pile because I couldn't decide how to do the quilting on it. I ended up doing a lot of research while other quilts jumped the line to get completed first. Sometimes it just happens that way.
The pattern for this was from an online blog entry and is a 'tube quilt' I used a jelly roll I picked up at a quilt guild's stash-buster sale for $10. I didn't really like the prints in the roll but for $10 I couldn't leave it there!
A tube quilt like this starts with two strips sewn together side by side, then laid on a wide strip of the background fabric and stitched up both sides, creating a tube.
One then cuts triangles from alternate side seams and, when they are pressed open they become a half-square triangle block with two colors in the one side and a solid background in the other. (Got that?)
As you move down the tube you get two block colorways depending on the side of the strips you car cutting from. Match up two that are the same and rotate one of them and you create a mountain.
These are placed side by side to create rows which are then stacked for the overall layout.
The jelly roll was not enough to complete enough matching sets so I threw in a few strips from my stash. The background is made up of a mixture of white-on-white fabrics.
When it came to the quilting I did not want to use an overall edge to edge design. This stumped me for quite a while but I finally settled on swirly clouds for the background and point to point arcs for the strip sets.
This was all done with free-motion quilting as was the continuous pattern in the borders.
This was a totally new process for me as I waited until all of the other quilting was done and then rolled the quilt forward and back on the machine to complete each section.
The binding was just a bit brighter than I would have liked but it was what I had on hand.