When I made the lily quilt I stitched up all the hourglass blocks and then discovered I had twice as many as I needed. I couldn't let those go to waste so I cut plain squares from a green batik from the stash to stand in for the square-in-a-square lily blocks.
I used the same layout and then realized it was too plain. I pulled a glittery butterfly print for a wide border and then, from its scraps, I cut out individual butterflies, backed them with Steam-a-Seam2 and ironed them onto the pieced top in a rising flight.
I used black thread to 'sketch' twice around each butterfly and connect them.
The background was quilted in a blending thread using free-form butterflies.
The outside border was quilted with large loops.
I didn't have enough of the backing fabric so I added a couple of wide stripes of fabric from the stash to enlarge it.
Whatever thread I was using on the front, I kept the bobbin thread black. Look at how the butterfly quilting shows up on the backing stripes.
Now THAT'S a save from the scrap pile!