Distress Mini Tryouts
Throughout 2015 Ranger Industries released a new color of Distress ink every month. Tim Holtz introduced them and showed comparisons with similar color families alteady in the Distress line.
I did not pick up any of these 12 new colors until this month, when I found 8 of them in the mini-sized ink pads (they come with 4 colors in a pack).
I decided to do some playing with four of the pads and here is what I did.
First, I chose Cracked Pistachio, Twisted Citron, Abandoned Coral and Fossilized Amber. I started with a coated paper and pressed the inkpads directly on it in a grid.
These blocks of color stayed very wet so I decided to blot off some of the color using a piece of watercolor paper. I just pressed it straight down onto the color and held it there for a while so the color could soak into the watercolor paper.
This picked up a lot of color and I wanted to blend it a bit so I misted it with water and let the colors bleed. To move the color even more, I pressed the piece onto a non-stick craft sheet. Then I dried it with a heat tool.
There were a lot of colored droplets on the craft sheet so I pressed the dried sheet back into it several times and dried it again.
The color on the original piece was still wet so I pressed a piece of regular white cardstock onto it, picking up more of the ink. I misted the new piece with water to activate the ink and dried it with a heat tool.
The original piece was still a little damp so I just hit it with the heat tool.
With all these pieces I used them as backgrounds for card fronts.
This is the original piece - pressed direct-to-paper on coated paper.
I added some vellum stickers of tulips and a cardstock sticker of another floral which had a teal border. I copied that border as a layer under the block piece and mounted the whole thing on a white base card.
This is the piece contact-transfered to watercolor paper:
I added a large vinyl sticker to the center and a second sticker off to the side. I used a bright yellow base card to go with the central flower.
This last pressing onto standard white cardstock did not pick up much color:
I reinforced the grid by using a heavy black marker. Then I chose a red and a green fine line marker to add inner borders to those colors. I added a cardstock floral sticker and a pre-stamped sentiment. A coral base card picks up the color of the floral and one of the inks.
I still have 4 new colors to play with but probably won't repeat this method of experiment with them.
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org
at 12:01 AM PDT