« November 2017 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes  «
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Thursday, 13 July 2017
Slipcase for Colored Pencil Box
Topic: Boxes

It was hard to select a topic category for this entry because 'technically' what I made is related to bookbinding. But I'm using the end product for something else so I'm classifying it as a Box.

Remember the other day when I had an 'aha moment' on making a slipcover for my metal box of colored pencils. I wanted to do this so they would look like the other materials in the stack of Bible journaling supplies.

Reminder: this is what the box looks like:


...and how out of place it looked in the stack:


I searched on YouTube and found a great set of four videos by bookbinder Sage Reynolds that were extraordinarily detailed and perfect for my purposes. He covers every detail that leads from raw board to a beautiful and completely custom slipcase. You can watch yourself at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWnUQqFyKg&list=PLKThD7m8NDz7k4HVV0g27Sjzrd3RgkujP.

I didn't have some of the materials he used so I mounted the lining paper with spray adhesive, assembled the case with Ranger's Glossy Accents, and attached the cover papers with a foam brush and Matte Medium (generally used for collage). 

The lining paper is Tim Holtz's Idea-ology Melange Tissue Paper from a roll. The cover paper is Dollar Tree kraft gift wrap. I added a spine strip so it would liik more like the other box 'books' in the stack. This was a scrap of mulberry paper.

I was so excited to show you this project that I didn't wait for the glue to dry before taking pictures. This explains any dark areas on the papers, especially the spine.

Here is the basic look of the slipcase:

Another view:

Here you can see the lining paper better and get a look at the great way the edges are finished:

Look how neatly the pencil box fits into the slipcase:

And how well it fits all the way in the case:


It even looks good 'standing' on the shelf:


But the best thing is how nice it looks in the stack of other supplies:


Well, I must say, this turned out every bit as good as my 'vision'.

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PDT
Wednesday, 12 October 2011
A Little Twist
Topic: Boxes

I have always liked the boxes creates by Amazing Paper Grace (blog) called the Twist Top Box. I made one a couple of years ago when she first posted the directions.

For the speaker and musicians at our retreat I created custom ones to go in their gift baskets. I did three in chocolate cardstock with apple green accents and one in apple green with chocolate accents.


I used my star punch to create the side cutouts and lined the sides with pieces of transparency. They have tissue paper tucked into them so the candies will be contained.


The ribbon loops on top are just taped inside the twist. They are decorative and not meant to carry the weight of a filled box.

Ddd

 

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 6:00 AM PDT
Saturday, 16 January 2010
Open & Shut Case
Topic: Boxes

I found this project at http://qbeesquest.blogspot.com/2009/10/darling-drawers.html and could not wait to make one of my own. I used printed cardstock for the cabinet and solid cardstock for the drawers. 

 A Nestabilities labels die was used for the 'mirror' element using some of the printed card scraps and a bit of light blue solid card.

I added pearl-faced brads for drawer pulls and tied a grosgrain ribbon at the back of the cabinet.

This makes a pretty and solid little dresser using 5 sheets of cardstock.

Ddd

 

 

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 6:00 AM PST

Newer | Latest | Older