« September 2017 »
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting  «
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Tuesday, 1 March 2016
Color From a Tube
Topic: Painting

If you know art supplies you've probaably heard of Gelatos which are water soluble pigment in a stick form. They come in a holder that looks like a lipstick tube so you can hold it and smear/scribble it on the paper.

However, the ones I have are NOT name brand. They are some cheap version that I bought in a tourist gift shop at the coast. I used them one time, years ago, and then put them in a drawer for 'some other time'.

I couldn't remember what type of base I had used them on before but I figured, "water soluble = watercolor paper".

I made a pencil sketch using the magnolia stamp I used yesterday as a guide. Then I scribbled the crayons onto the various areas where I needed the color.

I used a flat watercolor brush to add plain water to one color area at a time and blended out the pigment. With the rough texture of the watercolor paper the wash areas (sky and ground) did not blend out smoothly.

After the whole piece was dry I went back with a permanent marker and drew in to define the outlines and sketch details. I used a bit of cross-hatching to create shadows.


I cut the image down and used colors from it to build borders and added a black peel-off sentiment sticker.

Ddd

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PST
Monday, 29 February 2016
Look Ma! No Lines!
Topic: Painting

I had another image on watercolor paper stamped with scattered straw ink. This was done with masking as the actual stamp only has one flower on it.

I continued on with the no-line watercolor technique, mixing my own greens and adding a blue wash for the sky.

I added a bit of pink to the petals and used paynes gray for shadows.

I trimmed into the blossoms to create more impact as it makes them appear larger when they won't fit in the frame.

I bordered the painting with gray and pink thenlayered it on green - picking up colors from the image.


I added a silver script sticker for text.

Ddd

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PST
Monday, 22 February 2016
Hummmmmm
Topic: Painting

Watercolor painting again...

I used a quarter sheet of watercolor paper from a pad and stamped a hummingbird/floral image using 'scattered straw' Distress Ink.

I have no green watercolor pains so have to mix these using my two blues and two yellows.

The bird has browns mixed from ochre and umberwith blue shadows.

I painted the flowers in washes of three reds as well as a purple that I mixed for shading.


I forgot how much the colors become muted when they dry. It is difficult to get vibrant tones in watercolor.

I need much more practice.

Ddd

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PST
Sunday, 21 February 2016
Watercolor For Real
Topic: Painting

I have been wanting to get back to watercolor paintig for some time now but have been limiting myself to painting card fronts and using stamp pad inks or markers for the 'paint'.

I decided to break out of this one step at a time so I started by switching back to true watercolors and standard brushes.

I started with watercolor paper that comes in a pad and cut a sheet into quarters. Rather than taking time to sketch something to paint I got out rubber stamps and stamped the image with 'scattered straw' Distress Ink.

For this one I used my hand carved stamps of roses.

I used the guidelines on the stamped image to decide where to do shading and worked with reds and yellows to create oranges with a bit of blue shadow. The greens were mixed as well as I have no green watercolor paints.


The background is NOT purple as this shows but if I dial that back the roses do not look as orange as they really are.

Although this ended up being sized properly for a card front, I'm not sure if will end up being used that way.

Ddd

 


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 12:01 AM PST

Newer | Latest | Older