« May 2017 »
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor  «
How Does Your Garden Grow?
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Wednesday, 5 April 2017
Seaside Candle Trio
Topic: Home Decor

I had to add a new caregory for this craft as I had never done anything like it. With a general theme like Home Decor I will be able to add a variety of crafts under this heading.

Pinterest popped up with a photo the other day from an Etsy listing:


I thought that was pretty cute and went to Dollar Tree to see how much of the supplies I could come up with.

- I could get the blue sand there but really wanted regular sand. That I had at home already.

- I got the wine glasses for $1 each

- I got three candles there but then switched them out for battery-operated candles at Michaels

- No twine at Dollar Tree?!?!? Michaels had that, too

- No seashells at Dollar Tree either. Michaels had them

- Dollar Tree DID have the mirrors for bases

I already had E6000 glue and sheet magnets and clear acetate so I was ready to tackle the project.

First, I mixed my two sands together. Some was from Maui and some from the Oregon coast. I poured 1/3 of it into each of the three wine glasses. I sorted the shells so I had the same mix in each glass - a variety of sizes and types. Then I applied a line of E6000 glue around the rim and added a square of clear transparency acetate. This seals in all the loose sand and shells for when the glass is turned over.

While that was setting up I glued several rounds of twine around the base of each candle. I used the E6000 glue for this, too. In fact the same glue is used for every step of the whole project.

After allowing both of these steps to dry overnight, I turned the glasses upside down and glued several rounds of twine at the rim where it meets the acetate.

Several rounds of twine were wrapped and tied on the stems (I did not glue these at all)

I used scissors to trim the acetate next to the twine on the glass.

The candles were pretty slippery setting on the foot of the glassware so I used some sheets of magnet to cover the foot and then glued a ring of magnet sheet on the candle base. This had to be a ring so the battery access door and the on/off switch could still be accessed.

To display, a glass is centered on a mirror base and a candle is turned on and set upon the foot of the glass.

Like the Etsy listing, I made a set of three, but mine are all the same size instead of the varied glassware they used.




I really like how the project turned out. I may shop at a larger Dollar Tree to see if I can find more of the elements there. I know they've had all of these things at one time or another.

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 8:08 PM PDT

Newer | Latest | Older