I got some donated scraps that someone had started combining into 9-patch blocks. There were more 5-inch squares cut and come extra fabric so I cut and whacked and stitched until I had 12 blocks. They were real scrappy and no way to lay them out in any kind of 'pattern' so I remembered a technique I had read about on a blog called 'Disappearing 9-Patch'. What you do is cut the 9-patch in half top to bottom, swap the right with the left and combine with another block. Then you do the same by cutting side to side and moving the bottoms to the tops and mixing with other blocks.
The result is 4 whole blocks in the center surrounded with half-blocks all around the sides and quarter blocks in the corners. Looks complicated with little work.
I pieced these together with 2 1/2 inch strips and quilted with a burnt-orange backing. I gave it a dark green binding.
The result is roughly 4 x 5.5 feet.
This quilt will be donated to our local hospital for their Passages program. The chaplain's office gives them to patients who are not expected to survive their stay. The family keeps the quilt afterwards.