« September 2017 »
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
3D paperwork
A - Z challenge 5
A - Z challenge 7
A - Z challenge round 4
A to Z challenge round 3
A to Z round 2
A to Z round 6
A-Z round 1
Around the House
Artist Trading Cards
Backgrounds
Beads
Bible Journaling
Books
Boxes
Collage
Color Challenge
Coloring
cookbook
Die Cuts
Digital Projects
Digital Stamps
Drawing
Dry Embossing
Fabric Stuff
Fantastic Folds
Field Trip
Home Decor
How Does Your Garden Grow?
In The Kitchen
In the studio
Jewelry
Lettering
Links
Multi-Technique
Music to Work By
Musings
Nail Art
New Work
Online Class
Other Hobbies
Other Projects
Painting
Paper Embroidery
Paper Piecing
Photo
Pretty Paper
Quilting
Random
reading
Scrap Recovery
scrapbooking
Sewing
Sketch Challenge
Some Backlog
Stamping
Stencils
Stickers
Supplies
Teabag Folding
Techniques
Testing
tips and tricks
Tutorial
Web resources
Welcome to my Blog
Work By My Friends
workflow
Writing
Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
Group One
In & Out of Studio 3D
Saturday, 30 September 2017
Tulips Are Better Than One
Topic: Quilting

I am amazed by the tutorials that come out of Missouri Star Quilt Company week after week. Every one is easy, innovative and attractive.

But there are some that I just can't wait to dive right in on.

I rarely print out the accompanying materials with materials, measurements and instructions. Instead, I have my little tablet of graph paper and I make sketches of the blocks, the step-by-step and layouts. I pencil in measurements as I go.

Usually, they work out just fine even though I don't often make them in the size they are designed. This is because they are mostly using pre-cuts in full packets (or multiples of them) and I just work out what size I want the finish to be and cut the number of pieces needed to do up the pattern.

The tutorial for this quilt is called Totally Tulips and starts with 10" precuts and makes a quilt measuring 89" x 90". That's huge.

I am generally making lap quilts so I only needed 12 tulips. That used 24 10" squares from my stash - half colors and half greens. I used muslin I had on hand for the background.


I did overall large stippling over all the white. Then I did three wavy vees on all the flowers and stitch in the ditch up both sides of each stem.


The backing is a modern print with little blocks of color on point. It has all the colors used on the front. It looked so nice I used it for the binding as well.


This will go to the hospital Passages program.

Ddd


Posted by studio3d@ccgmail.net at 7:59 PM PDT

View Latest Entries