I made this quilt top this summer and got it sandwiched back in June. I was prepared to do the quilting on my domestic machine but set it aside for other stuff. Then I got the longarm machine and figured I would do the quilting on that.
Well, two issues with that: 1) I had spray basted the three layers together so I wouldn't be able to do the standard loading of the machine and 2) I had wanted tonot have a lot of extraneous material beyond the top so I could fit it in my domestinc sewing machine. That left me no fabric to attach to the leaders on the longarm.
So I found some heavier fabric and sewed it on the two edges - about 7 inches of it. This was what I used to load the quilt onto the machine.
Then I just practiced making patterns on the quilt with free-hand stitching - different patterns in different decorative areas.
I had a lot of tension problems and thread breaks on this but I think it was due to the spray baste that was in the sandwich.