Remember when I showed the recently made bracelet from the class at the Sew and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup? Well, today I finally finished all the other homework that I had left from three other classes I took.
First up was a class where we used Gelatos and Inktense Watercolor pencils to 'paint' a flower on muslin. Then we cut it out and mounted it to a background fabric with a fusible glue. With verigated thread we did thread painting over the flower. The instructor showed us a different way to bind it without any showing on the front side. Here is my finished wall hanging.
Another class had us learning to do free-motion embroidery. This was just like free-motion quilting but with no batting. We did have water-soluble stabilizer on both top and bottom. We stitched with verigated thread, following the lines on a provided illustration.
At home we had to soak off the stabilizer, add batting to the back and stitch around the image and trim away extra batting. The rest of the finishing was just like any other quilt with borders, quilting and binding.
And here is my finished wall hanging:
The third project was a wallet. The class was advertised as a 'serger project' but when we got to class the only use of the serger was a new feature - the machine sewed a chain stitch. REALLY!?!?! I wanted to learn to use a serger and I get a chain stitch? I could have constructed the whole project on a regular maching. Harrumph!
The other thing they were overly excited about was 'cork fabric'. May I just say... Big deal!
So, beyond that, we did make a wallet (with extremely poor instructors and assistants and instructions) and I had a lot of work to do at home, including the hardware.
I have several photos of this project. Here you see it closed.
I did all that top-stitching on the cork fabric, too.
Here is a view that shows the hardware.
That little tongue flips up straight out and then you can open the wallet.
This is a view of the outside when opened. There is a full zippered pocket for carrying currency.
And, finally, the inside view. On the top is a zippered pocket for coins and on the bottom are slots for credit cards.
You can see in the photo above how the hardware is held on with ittsy-bitsy screws.
So, homework all done - and it only took me three weeks to get it done!