The pattern for this quilt (Quiltmaker Magazine, September 2010) was one of the first I picked out when I started quilting and said "I'm going to make that one someday". As it usually does, 'someday' finally arrived and my mom chose this pattern for me to make for her and dad. YAY!
The original pattern is in greens with a pink multifloral print and a swag floral border on white. For this quilt we chose blue and yellow as the color pallette and off I went to find fabrics that would subsitute for the originals. I ended up with a blue background with yellow roses and cream magnolias as the feature fabric. I added in some dark blue, medium blue, yellow and white florals and a bright yellow. In setting the 9-patch pieces I rotated them so there was not the strong diagonal line as the original. I did not find any 'swag' fabric like the original so I selected a wide stripe and added multiple borders to make it the width needed for the drop. Oh, yeah - I cut one entire column off to cut the king-sized pattern down to queen-sized.
Here is the result:
The quilting on the main body is free-motion around every leaf and flower with a vine and leaves connecting through the yellow floral bars.
The borders are all added quilt-as-you-go so the only one with quilting on it is the wide floral border. It is free-motion quilted around every leaf and flower as well.
Yep, that's a LOT of quilting. But I certainly am getting better at free-motion!